PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus III
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2009, 15:24
Viewfrom5Bells

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It the collape in yield that is the problem

I attended the Wille Walsh/Keith Williams presentation and the message is that BA's business is currently somewhere between catastrophic and cataclysmic with the collapse in yields in Club being the main problem with March 2009 being particularly horrific. There is no sign of a bottom with, for example, Air France offering LHR-CDG-HKG business class at £1000 return. Couple of mentions as to how relatively well LGW long haul is doing and is being awarded by new routes to Maldives, Sharm, Montego Bay, Dominican Republic. I would suggest that the something like the LGW contract is what LHR crew are going to be offered/forced to accept at the end of June. WW made the point that the top union officialls in Unite and GMB will still have jobs even after we are all on the dole. The yield situation is critical and peope will never again pay the rates for Club that they were pre-2008 therefore temporary solutions are not an option. Lots of people may still be flying in club but they are using cheaper, restricted tickets. 80 of my colleagues in Im left yesterday with generous redundancy but the point was made that as money begins to run out any redundancy pay will be massively reduced.