PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus III
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2009, 14:34
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Litebulbs:

"I strongly believe that it is pilot salaries that are sinking BA"
Ironically for a long time, as the CC were all raking in their expenses cash (sound familiar) the large influx of Cadets from the early 90's was making itself felt in the fact that BA had, of any major national legacy long haul carrier in the world, the cheapest LH Captains.

Things are a little flexible now due to the increase in the retirement age but, and it's a big but, that also applies to certain members of the CC community who command large, overinflated salaries for a job where they play no active role in the service on the aircraft! The days of over seeing the Chefs, assuring the presentation of First Class meals and the correct cooled temperature of the wines are long gone. Not just on BA but on ALL LH carriers who are trying to struggle through this.

It has been well discussed already that FC pay is benchmarked against other carriers thus generating the ability to entice qualified personnel into the BA cockpit. CC have not, yet, had that pleasure and it is coming now in the shape of WW's demand list. I suggest you scroll back a few pages and have a read, it is all there.

The next year will be very telling and, I honestly believe, quite painful for some. The other departments at BA who do realise the problems, are pro-active about their cost savings and are putting up with the transitional pain are totally fed up of the puerile nature of the BASSA bleating. Time to grow up I'm afraid, the rumour I have heard is that even Unite can't be bothered with the BASSA rhetoric this time around.