PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMIbus emergency at BHD
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2002, 19:45
Max Angle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Standard Noise,. .. .Either my message was not clear or you had a bad day before posting. I am on your side squire, get everybody out on alert where they can be of some use should they be required. What your, or my, management might think the next morning, sitting in a nice warm office, feet up, with a cup of tea in hand looking at the event with the benefit of hindsight is irrelevant. The flight crew and the ATCO have to deal with it on the spot and must do what they think is best, thats what we get paid for. . .. .Crossfeedclosed,. .. . </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"> I don't accept that an engine failure in a twin fulfils that criterion </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">.. .. .I think you are dead wrong, in a twinjet you have lost 50% of your power and about 80% of your climb rate, you might only see 500fpm on a heavy a/c (if you do everything right). Depending why the engine has failed ie. severe damage, a whole host of other systems might be about to join the engine in retirement, hydraulics, flight controls. .etc. Once things are sorted out, under control and you have a good idea about other damage etc. and a plan has been made then I would consider downgrading to a PAN but to begin with a MAYDAY is the only correct call in my opinion.. . . . <small>[ 10 March 2002, 15:47: Message edited by: Max Angle ]</small>