PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMIbus emergency at BHD
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2002, 23:43
Guy D'ageradar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Regarding the international interpretation of Mayday and Pan calls, I can certainly confirm that my colleagues in Switzerland would understand and react accordingly to either one - in fact, I heard my first ever last week - by an AF pilot who insisted on speaking English to a Francophone contoller to avoid misunderstandings. Somewhat better than the UK MIL pilot I once heard declare a "practice Mayday" twice before the checklist or similar heavy object was heard to hit his helmet! . .. .Doesn't go for everywhere though, a few years ago I was sitting behind a young arab twr trainee who patently ignored a somewhat excited countryman who twice stated that he "wished to declare an emergency" before I decided enough was enough and retook control. (a/c was still on 8nm final with an overheating engine but having never heard the likes before, I still would have expected some reaction.). .. .However, I think it is fair to say that in the real world, any of the above would immediately draw the appropriate amount of attention and I for one have no problem with any or all of them being used for that purpose. I would rather have to downgrade an emergency than see the next disaster because someone didn't want to declare anything other than a "technical problem." Surely that is the real issue here.