PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC Optometry Department Closed
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2009, 09:42
Albert Another

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have managed to get my prescription details and ordered some contacts online. However, because the old OASC department used to get the latest products at cost price, I have had to pay about 1/3 more online for the same product, and with considerably more time and effort. I have tried going back to older products but the decrease in comfort and effectiveness is noticeable.

For those reading this who see just aircrew winging about having to pay more for stuff please note:
1. We are cleared to fly with contact lenses, which are better than glasses (clear peripheral vision, no obstruction due to frames, allows the user to wear ‘efficient’ sunglasses). This all gives better flight safety.

2. Latest contact lense technology offers better safety and better eye health.

3. Due to the chance of short notice detachments of considerable length, we need the ability to quickly order additional bulk supplies. The old OASC could arrange for delivery globally at very short notice (hording lenses just in case does not work due to possible changes in prescriptions).

4. OASC had our very detailed eye 'history' stretching back many years so changes in eye health could be tracked. The local optician does not.
I hope that when Birmingham is up and running that the ability to trial new products, rapidly order supplies, deliver them where evey you are in the world, at cost price to the user, is available. Good eye care = better flight safety; but also pilots with better vision in later life and that = long-term financial savings.