PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlines To Routinely Monitor Cockpit Voice Recordings?
Old 30th May 2009, 08:11
Airbus Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having seen before the "witch hunt" that can happen when an airline wishes to get rid of a pilot, I would absolutely NOT support the introduction of regular reviews of the CVR.

And for all those (who obviously don't fly airliners) who think that it is perfectly reasonable for all pilots to only speak SOPs whilst at work, can I say - have you ever tried doing that for 14 hours? Can you imagine the stress if you know your manager wants rid of you, or the company needs to make redundancies? They could just listen into the CVRs, find a couple of non-SOP moments or comments you make that aren't politically correct and sack you. We don't get breaks, we are "working" for the whole time. You non-airline pilots, would you like to have everything, from the moment you set foot on your company's premises, including everything you say in conversation, by email, by phone, or personally, and in both work time and your own time, for 14 hours straight, recorded and played back by management? Are you perfect 100% of the time? If you are not, then you should not be supporting the idea of having everything you say recorded whilst at work.

I completely agree that SOPs should be followed, and the sterile cockpit is a great idea. As someone else said, the odd sentence here and there usually enhances flight safety because it tells the other pilot that that person is alert and listening. And on a long tiring duty it helps keep you alert. Personally I have found the missed radio calls (that another poster mentioned) tends to be when I have done a very long duty and I am tired and the cockpit is quiet and therefore my alertness is at a low ebb - your brain switches off and it takes longer to realise ATC are calling you.

There is another way for airlines to monitor SOP adherence. The airline I work for has recently had a kind of audit of SOPs. A number of pilots (non-management!) were allocated to come on the jump seat of different flights. The information they recorded was completely anonymous, there were no details of crew or anything like that. They noted down which SOPs were not adhered to, or were called incorrectly, and this information was gathered together to find out which SOPs were working and which were not. The idea being that if most people in the company weren't using the SOP or finding it hard to adhere to, perhaps the SOP should be changed.

This is far better than routine recording/ playing of CVR tapes. It is pro-active. Because the "monitor" is "one of us" there is no extra pressure like there is in the sim. And it is known that there is absolutely no punitive measures, so the crew operate as "normal".