PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2009, 20:30
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Olive, I find it interesting that having expressed your views about the general lack of understanding by professional pilots about what actually constitutes flight in accordance with Visual Meteorological Conditions, and thus their subsequent fall from grace at later BoIs etc, your rejection of Boslandew's offering was swiftly countermanded when it was pointed out that he was repeating an MOD statement. Are their words sacrosanct in your view? As you seem now to be satisfied as to the VMC rules pertaining at the time and of the IAS of the Chinook could we share your satisfaction? Do you think that the aircraft was maintaining VMC and a normal airspeed in transit, or was it IMC and also high speed due to Crew Duty Time limitations, or like most of us demented professional pilots, past and present, do you just not know? Also what do you understand by the BoI quote:
The Board members concluded that the prevailing weather conditions were such as to demand flight in accordance with Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) in the vicinity of the Mull of Kintyre.
No one to my knowledge challenges the view that the Wx at impact was very IMC, but the general consensus (I think) is that was restricted very much to the Mull land mass, not to its "vicinity"? What does the BoI mean by vicinity? Or was that a cleverly ambiguous use of words, you know like the MOD is fond of?