PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreign Licence Conversion SA ICAO to UK JAA
Old 29th May 2009, 17:27
flybyshark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
conversion

To convert to JAA Commercial Pilot licence you will need to do ATPL ground course, you have done the right thing by going with Bristol so that you can work abroad still if you like and come over for the exams in 2 sittings. Or attend a flight school like I did and spend a lot more on classroom environment and accommodation.......should have done it distance learning! Or you can come to UK and get set up, find a job doing whatever, possibly in Ops for some outfit and do the exams whilst making a good impression with a company.

The actual flying part is just as painful.......15 hours for EACH of the CPL training and the ME/IR but this can be done with some hours in the sim.

Very expensive compared to the rest of the world but can be done in a month or so if you get the right place at the right time, avoid big sausage factories if you can, they will put you at the bottom of the pile and give you the run around. A few friends have used multiflight in leeds or another place in Bristol.....dont know about Exeter so cant comment.

Its gonna cost you the best part of £10-15k (maybe more!) I suggest you stay away from flight schools making promises,instead do BGS for the ATPL in 6 months and source a good school that will negotiate with you in terms of time and availability.

Another rather important point to remember is that your foreign licence has to be fully valid at the time of your flight tests......including medical and multi rating. So dont dawdle or you might have to 'pop' back to wherever you came from or find a medical examiner in the UK and pay for a ME rating over here.

Good luck!