PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help with upcoming Regional Express Cadet pilot Interview
Old 29th May 2009, 17:01
Grogbog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know fella's who have been recruited by Cathay with around 150hrs command.... The 1000+ hours of Multi Crew time, their attitude and education was what got them the job. QANTAS also take people with 1500 Multi Crew hours and only 150hrs command from memory. Jetstar only require 250 command of which 150 can be ICUS. Multi Crew hours are GOLD, absolute GOLD. You can accrue some command hours dropping meat bombs on your days off or holidays etc if you are truely motivated and want to get a few hundred in your logbook over your first few years as a F/O.

Most of us here in Oz (me included) had to "do our time" in GA and as such we believe it creates good decision making skills and tests your attitude etc. If you don't bash round in a C206/C210 before getting 500 Multi in a Baron or Chieftan you just can't fly.... Just ask all the bitter and twisted folks out there (me included) who didn't get looked at until we had 1000+ multi command. In Europe 200hr Cadets fly SAAB's, DASH's and 737/A320's and they don't bend them, it's all just a shift in culture we GA "veterans" will have to adjust to in the future. Training is the key.

If was a kid again I'd give it a go.... GA is a huge gamble just as REX may be a gamble. The gamble that gets you 2000hrs+ in a SAAB over your first few years seems great to me. Go for it, be positive and learn all you can. This industry is full of negative people who will try to drag you down.