PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMIbus emergency at BHD
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2002, 14:32
Max Angle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sure that any ATCOs reading this will correct me if I am wrong but I believe that there are rules laid down as to when a full alert or local standby is used. My understanding is that if an a/c has reported any kind of hydraulic, flight control or engine problem then an alert is called. That suits me fine, the closer all the emergency services are to us when we land with a problem the better, it's good practice for everyone anyway. . .. .I remember a few years back we had a memo round from the company urging us to choose our words carefully when reporting problems so we did not get an over reaction from ATC leading to unwelcome media attention. It was made very clear however that the decision rested firmly with us at the time and it was better to be honest with ATC if you really had a problem. Events and incidents get reported very fast (and sometimes, very badly) nowadays, loads of jornos and spotters listen out on the radio just to hear something that they can report. About 5 years ago one of our a/c had an engine failure coming out of LHR, they landed back about 15 minutes later. I understand that a newspaper had called the company for a comment before the a/c had even got back on the ground!.