PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career changes for ex Cabin crew?
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2009, 20:39
Beryl1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life After Flying

I quit flying two years ago and I admit I have been really lucky.

What you have to know, though is that you shouldn't sell yourself short. If you believe that you don't have the right experience, then potential employers will also believe that.

I started working in an office within my own airline which made the transition to civvy street much easier. THe people loved having me there because I was able to fill them in on what life on board is really like.

But what I notice most was that it was not the people who had the best education or experience that succeed, but the ones with the right attitude. For example you might think that you have no project management experience, but if you've ever planned a complex holiday or home improvement project then you do have the experience.

WHat employers want is evidence of the skills needed for the job you're after, but not necessarily on the job expeience.

The first step is having a blinding CV and covering letter.

If you're CV says " Flight attendant - looked after passengers" then no one will give you a second look.

If you put some spin on it and say "Flight attendant - As a highly customer oriented team player for a high end premium international carrier, I was not only responsible for customer safety, I also fulfilled customer expectaitions to corporate standards, while using my initiative to manage unexpected situations. I have highly developed communication skills, essential when dealing with cultural differences from all over the world. This role requires expert knowledge of products, procedures and standards, all of which change on a frequent basis. I am excited by the prospect of bringing these people skills into a new arena etc etc etc....."

Potential employers will sit up and listen - as a FA you have great people skills so use them to sell yourself.

If you don't know whether you are ready to take the plunge - look for a secondment or the opportunity for a leave of absence so you can go off, get some different experience and still have your flying job to fall back on.

The advice that made me give up flying was from a great friend who said..."Are you going to fly forever? No? Then you're already planning to leave. Give up while you can look back at the memories with fondness rather than when its gets so late that you resent it".

The only ex FAs I know who regret quitting are those that haven't got themselves to a place where they are doing so well (not necessarily in the financial sense) that they want to go back to it.

I loved flying but I've ticked that box (ten years worth) moved on and am happier now than ever before.

And if you ask me what I'm doing on Saturday May 31 2010, I'll answer "I don't know yet, but as its a weekend, I'll definately be available!"

My gosh I've really gone into a spin - just my 2 cents worth - I hope you get to where you want to be soon - remember you only live once and when the world becomes such a small place that you can go to JFK and never leave your room then you know you've had enough.

Bx

PS A word of warning (now a word of warning?!!) - Its a tough world out there right now so make sure you know what you are doing if you are thinking about quittitng because if you quit and end up without work at all then you'll really be in a pickle. Good luck x