PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Swissport Redundancies??
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2009, 20:05
greuzi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is now over 10 years since I dealt with any union issue. At the time I worked for a very large company and a union was forcing itself to be officially recognised. It was all new to me to so I did my research and found out the following which I shared with my colleagues.

1. Unions do not safeguard peoples jobs.....but many think they do.
2. Most unions make profit and much of this is then donated to political parties without consultation with its members. Many companies, most airlines and handling companies do not make profit right now. Surely a surplus in union funds should be given back to its members instead of donated to political parties you yourself may not vote for?
3. The subscriptions that are paid fund very attractive salaries for union reps that often include company cars (5 series BMW) and other perks.
4. Unions often provide or sell perks and insurances that an employer provides anyway if you take the time to look.

In short. Make up your own minds but do your own research and do not rely on word of mouth or peer pressure.

I am happy to say that 10 years on, the organisation in question is still non-unionised to this day based on the choice of the 2500+ employees.

Some of you need to wake up and see the real world. If it was my £2 a week I'd spend it on the lottery instead.

Last edited by greuzi; 28th May 2009 at 20:42.