PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAL Technical Stop-Guam?
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2009, 19:53
Cessna1052

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tech stop

As I remember it right, PALs 744 are configured with 439 seats, except for the one that came from the Middle east( forgot the tail number).

I have done those tech stops before with PAL,both on the 744s and the 340s, and we used to land for fuel over Honolulu. I am surprised they are already doing it in Guam, but im very sure its no Passenger prerogatives. And tech stops are never usual, we find it back then as seasonal.

PAL flights to the US are sold and advertised as Direct flights, but since they get really good loads out of the west coast, it doesnt take so much of explaining to the passengers that they have to stop somewhere to pick up some fuel to complete the flight.

And there are cost involved here, and reasons could be cheaper landing fees and handling in Guam than Honolulu, And even fuel price.

If you compare PAL with other operators, there can definitely be numerous factors involved to draw the difference. One can be their configuration(seats), use of Speed, Cost index(remember this is partly based on the crews pay/cost of fuel), time they do the flights(busy timings or light timings), flight levels, fly over fees etc...

Whenever its a direct flight back to Manila, i remember all flights comes very close to japan( northerly route back home), and if the jets are so strong on the north LATS, thats the time planning sets them to fly south.

One more thing I remember, first post mentioned about a west coast to Australian flight, you might want to read something about Coriolis effect and global wind patterns.

Its been a while since i flew over the pacific, so feel free to correct my errors.

Last edited by Cessna1052; 28th May 2009 at 20:10.