PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Con fused - BA LCY - EDI
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2009, 14:52
Munnyspinner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Premium is the term used by BA and other airlines. They mean, Commercially ( (more) Important Passengers (CIP) /Frequent flyers and those who require a higher quality of service for which the airline can charge a permium over an above cattle class - which presumably, is where the revolting peasants sit next to those with more brains than money.

As regards the old conformance rant - Will this ever go away?

I flew to EDI this morning very reluctantly via LHR courtesy of BA ( its OK I'm back on BMI next week). As I was staying at the Sofitel last night I was not dogged by a late arrival. However, I did have to wait 20 minutes at the gate before anyone form BA showed even the remotest interest in boarding the flight. We departed on time but then taxied for 20minutes before take off. Arrival was punctual but, of course it would be because the scheduled flight time is now 1hr 20 whereas it used to be a block to block time of 55 minutes ( in the old days!).

In comparison with BMI last week, from Hex to gate took less than 10 minutes and the flight was just boarding when I arrived. No late arrivals, no delays 10 minutes max from pushback to take off 3 minutes early on arrival. LHR to EDI. To do the same with BA would take me at least 25 - 30minutes longer ( allowing for 10 minutes through security - although block to block times would be more or less equal. If you start adding this all together, Journey to paddington, Hex (15 +14 minutes worst case)+ 35 + 1.20 - I'm almost better taking atrain.

I have never delayed a flight once but have caught flights that have been delayed where airline staff have been awake to the possibility of filling an empty seat at the last minute to open a seat on a later ( busier) service. That behaviuor will increase load factors, improve yield and increase profit. Unfortunately, conformance either inhibits or restrict such opportunism.

The stats will show that T5 departures operate consistently on time but I don't think this is actually down to conformance. Pre T5 there was a shortage of stands at LHR which often meant inbound A/C were delayed by late departure of the preceeding flight. Now this situation has been alleviated by T5 and the knowck on effect removed.

The delays I have experienced have often been caused by transfer pax whose luggage has overtaken them or they get lost. How does conformance deal with BA pax making a flight connection where pax are delayed at immigration but their bags get onloaded onto a connecting internal flight?

Last edited by Munnyspinner; 28th May 2009 at 18:30.