PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taxi with passengers not seated
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2009, 13:21
lowcostdolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
411A and The Kabaka thank you for taking the time to refer to my post . I was confused after reading this thread. We have Pilots lining up to criticise (rightly) the SLF who ignore just about every approach to get them to sit down on taxi but then apparently it's OK to taxi a plane with all of them in the aisles and the emergency exits disarmed on occasions . The ones that are permanently armed would have been blocked due to luggage, volume of pax etc.

I was not privy to the actual incident referred to in my post.... only the fall out personally on my friend most of which is not appropriate to disclose in a forum. It seems there are 2 schools of thourght here on the aviation questions though.

Firstly I think this incident should have been reported through the correct channels in order to improve flight safety just as Kabaka says. In fact from what I understand there were two issues here. The initial jolt to the plane and the impact it had in the cabin and the lack of communication between the F/D and the SCCM who tried to initiate this. Safety was compromised and the CSR was warranted. Thats what it states in our manual. However a CSR has to be supported/signed by the Capt who on this occasion would not do so. Why?? I think Kabana has hit the nail on the head.

Secondly there are the "private words". Excellent in their place I have on a few occasions had these with the F/D just as they frequently did with me when I was a newly promoted SCCM and didn't always get it right either!!

On this occasion a lot of people had "private words". The SCCM to the F/D on what to put on the obviously required CSR so as not to aportion blame. She was told not to file it at all at the time

This incident was eventually reported as part of something else relating to the safety culture of the base. It was reported to a senior CC manager. Instead of reporting it to flight safety for immediate investigation a "private word" was had with the Base Captain and everything was covered up. In fact nothing was put on the safety data base at all by either of these two but apparently they had a written report

What else happened I'm not going to say but it was not in the interests of improving safety at a major UK carrier. I'll bear that in mind next time I have a serious incident on my flight. Thanks for this thread Guys as it made me look at my practice now and for the future.