PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pig flu and an economic crisis...
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2009, 11:47
heads_down

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
although they keep saying the H1N1 in Aus is a "mild" one, I think with such a quick exponential upwards trend, one major concern is the ability of the virus to 'mutate' with any sort of pre existing viral conditions, or mutate with the current winter flu virus and become a more virulent strain.

Another concern is what if an infected person also comes into contact with the "parrot flu" in NSW. I read not so long ago about this "parrot virus" that merely by the flap of the infected bird's wings or any accidental contact with the infected bird's droppings even inhalation is fatal. Now if that somehow finds its way to a H1N1 infected person or a carrier who may not have symptoms, than the result could be very very fatal.

I wonder too if those 20 crew who were quarantine, only because the law says so, not that team managers happy to see people off on sick leave for 1 week (minimum quarantine time), Through no fault of their own , just doing their job, is this going to be taken off their sick leave balance? Team managers will have to braced themselves for many more crews who will get quarantine. One stark reminder that i read from the news was that employers have a duty of care to other staff by not making it difficult for staff suffering from fever and flu symptoms(which include fatigue) to take time off work. This is so not in line with QCC culture. team managers might have to adjust their attitude and assumptions when crew now call in sick.

Last edited by heads_down; 28th May 2009 at 12:05.