PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying to Germany! =-s
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2009, 10:47
Bottlehead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dangerous statement. Mode-S coverage is 100% in the Netherlands.
Then, why ask for call sign if they should read my mode S giving them this
information?

A squawk is not just for identifying you on the controllers screen of the unit you are talking to. It's also for letting others know who controls you, or not.
Sometimes they do give me a squawk, and request I press ident, sometimes not.

In any case, you'll find that if you stay outside controlled airspace, you'll be requested to squawk 7000 in any case. Only if you transit controlled airspace, you might be asked to squawk a discrete code, but that depends on the mood of the controller.
Yes, the mood of the controler! sometimes helpfull, other times quite sharp sounding. Like handing me over to Langen 20 nm before border, other times I have to initiate request. Even asked to change to Antwerp Approach, who have let me by their zone at 2500' and been very nice about it.

I have heard Ostende Approach give another aircraft a very hard time just before entering zone at 10 NM.

Life has its ups and downs. I just get on with it. I am far from perfect but enjoy a challenge.

On another matter, Some airfields in the Netherlands are fussy about Noise Certificates, otherwise, they charge dearly for the landing. EHBD is very good and friendly.