PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garmin 430 Flight plan upload.
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2009, 17:34
bjornhall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I reckon, with a protocol analyser, the specification would be a day's work and then somebody has to write a bit of code, and get an RS232 (or USB) to ARINC converter (a few hundred quid). The interconnection may even be RS232 - I have the installation manual for these but not to hand right now - which would be trivial to drive from a PC.
Anyone who tries this would have to ask themselves where they reckon any syntax checking takes place... Since the interface in question is not meant to be externally available, it could well be systemized under the assumption that any device transmitting on the interface will know what it is doing; i.e., hardly any syntax error protection. In that case, second worst case scenario is that a factory reset will bring the unit back to life again...

Anyone able to pull that stunt off is probably doing embedded systems for a living, so it might be a bit of a busdriver's holiday to do it for free on one's spare time... But go right ahead!

I would love a robust way to load a route from the laptop straight into the unit! If I was designing it I would definitely go for a proprietary format and a loader application on the laptop though, with USB rather than Bluetooth. Would not like the user to be able to push any kind of corrupt data right into the unit... Embedded systems tend to have somewhat sensitive digestive tracts, given the user is not supposed to interface with it directly...