PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Griffins In Akrotiri
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2002, 21:52
Sloppy Link

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
That'll be another reaction then!
Those of you careful readers will note the original dig was regards the loss of a posting to the RAF with a cynical dig that JHC is in fact RAF and therefore are looking after themselves. Cross training a man to another type but same task is sensible. I would hazard a guess that SAR is as taxing in any of these places with perhaps the jungle offering it's own problems as Cyprus does it's own. Around Britains shores is a different kettle of fish and recognised. With regards to the AAC ability to achieve SAR, it is like anything, given the kit and training, I am sure it could be done.
Question: Why has the SAR task in Belize not been taken back by the RAF? Is this because Cyprus is closer or is it because Belize is a p** hole?
Finally, just to put Mr Crab back onto his podium and off his high horse, I do not recall either myself or Mr Muff saying that SAR was easy. If he wishes tales of derring do, we all have them to tell in some form or another.
Winching a broken pongo out of a jungle clearing is a facet of SAR so we must be doing (not pretending) something. Firing a mini gun from a Chinook is not armed action but it is action using arms. Accept it, SAR in all it's forms is not the exclusive preserve of the RAF, go on, giz us a go, I can do that! I want a posting to Cyprus!