PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2009, 00:26
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be really confusing to read some posts without the others!

Omega V6 - I thought you were going to say that!!

Caz - OV6 is right about 'the get better soon' comment (at least some of my ramblings are alcohol induced)!
Sadly, however, I had no idea you were ill and I would never wish you or your family any harm nor ill-will, so condolences, old bean.
However, AA is also right - laughter is also the best medicine - so keep smiling, life is too short to be taken too seriously - I say that as a cat with only 4 lives left and my 'scrapes' have made me very aware how close to the edge we all live - which is why it is important to try to do the right things and not just do things right. Perhaps Wratten and Day should remember that?
Best of British Caz.

Now, back to thread........

VMC as defined by COCISOS (below 140kts for helos) is less limiting than COCISOS and 1nm horizontal viz which, as I say, I am sure are lims for mil VFR in the UKMLFS - it is these that the crew would have been working to as they coasted in. Now here is the difficulty - have any of you tried to measure the in-flight viz - how can you do so exactly? I know how to 'guesstimate' the viz but its pretty hard, especially over the sea, so lets cut the guys a bit of sensible slack and suggest they were using an element of experience and 'sphincter-tension'. However, I think that the yachtie's statement that he could see the ac at about 3-400ft is pretty clear evidence that, over the sea, the weather was VMC and so IFR was not required. Walter, I believe the waypoint change indicates that they were trying to avoid the Mull, not landing on it and perhaps any slowing down was because the weather was looking iffy? Nonetheless, you may well have a point - neither of us can say either way.

Last edited by flipster; 27th May 2009 at 00:40.