PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possible Monarch CC Strike
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2009, 19:01
partyboy_uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The press release was utter madness. In these fragile times why scare the SLF into other airlines? What Mr Boyd should have done was quietly ballot his Monarch members and then go to management with the results
That wouldn't really have much effect though if the cabin crew vote against strike action would it? No, it was important for the Union to display its ability to affect the business, even without a vote. A press release that says "The firm faces a crippling strike at the height of the holiday season," has the ability to do just that.

the reason they [the passengers] keep boarding is because of us....the CC, the face of any company
As much as I would like this to be true, I am afraid that is not really the case. Passengers rarely "keep boarding" because of crew but rather because of cost, convenience and marketing. I have never heard anyone say that they travel with a particular airline because they like the cabin crew.

They value their profession and so should we.
I am guessing you mean that just as pilots value their profession so we should value ours. It is because I value my profession that I don't want a strike. Any such action could do a great deal of harm to the company and take me out of my chosen profession, without much prospect of seeing it again in the near future.

...it affects every CC not just Monarch. If we go to work with doormat written all over us then management will walk all over us
It is not right to propose cabin crew at Monarch risk their livelihoods on a matter of principal because support for a strike may well result in doing exactly that.