PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Embry Riddle MBAA - Online
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2009, 18:51
cf680c2b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O..L..T

I admire your aspirations. You are thinking exactly how I was about 9 years ago. Its logical to think that your MBA will advance your career and your aspirations to transition to management.

Yet, in this industry, logic does not always prevail. So far I have been to 4 airlines and I can tell you that not one of the mid-level management (Chief Pilot, Exec. chief Pilot, Fleet manager, etc.) had advanced academic qualifcations. Rather, they were well connected individuals.

As far as the hi level management (CEO, COO, Exec. VP, etc.), IMHO, you not only have to be well connected but you must have a top tier MBA. From Schools like, Wharton, Kellog, Sloan, etc.

In Summation, don't waste your time with an online MBA, its one notch above worthless. Take it from a guy who attended 2 years on Campus for his MBA (which is one notch above an online MBA on the worthless list). I have yet to see any of my bosses or any one on the hiring board of an airline I've applied to be impressed with my Degree. In fact it could become detrimental in some cases where it may be an element of threat to your immediate superiors.

Hope this helps.