PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA056 JNB-LHR Incident.
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2009, 12:16
Pinkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still baffled

I've read this thread again from start to finish and I still don't understand exactly what the crew did and why. Given that the amber rev unlocked lights were on for 2 & 3, and given that that the stick shaker deployed before they realized that the L/E devices were retracting, did the crew advance thrust on all 4 engines (the right course of action in this case) or just 1 & 4 (which you might say was a more intuitive action if the inboard reversers were in fact starting to unlock).

Or did they just say "well, if both inboard reversers are unlocking, the aircraft isnt going anywhere anyway so we've nothing to lose by assuming it's two false indications and taking it to the max on all four".

In fact it's more than that, because without knowledge of the L/E slat retraction surely the intuitive assumption would be that the activation of the stick shaker was due to a degradation of performance caused by the inboard reversers starting to unlock?

The thing that I cant understand is that they appear, on the basis of the admittedly shaky info on this thread, to have done the right thing based on illogic...

Much respect, whatever the reason.

Pinkman

Last edited by Pinkman; 26th May 2009 at 13:38.