PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Creation of a fund for those who cannot afford PPL
Old 26th May 2009, 02:18
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The hardest part of learning to fly is paying for it. I've often seen a clear distinction among students who have a trust fund or other source of money, vs. those who've had to earn their way into the cockpit. The difference shows in the dedication and in the determination to not only complete flight training, but to continue beyond that point.

Paying for one's training is a difficult thing to be sure, and with rising costs, it gets no easier with time. One might say that the cost and the effort involved is somewhat of a great discriminator, or an equalizer...it tends to divide those who are determined and dedicated, from those who are not.

I spent many long years working under very demanding, difficult conditions, working multiple jobs, and often cycling long distances to work in freezing hangars to earn the few hours of flying I got. It was a very long road, and a very demanding one, and the subsequent career which has followed has been no less demanding. I've run into many who say it's not worth it, who drop out and fall away...and this too has served as a great discriminator or equalizer, shearing the wheat from the chaff, as it were.

While coming up with ample money for everyone would be a wonderful thing on the surface, flying has never been anything less than requiring your all. Cheapen that by giving it away, and then what have you left but many who will fail to take it seriously, who will lower the standards of safety and dedication, and who will cheapen the art, the sport, and the industry by a like amount.

No, flying requires your dedication, and depending on how far you're willing to reach...it is attainable. The question is whether the cost is more than you're willing to bear.