PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the apprenticeship route still viable in todays economic climate?
Old 25th May 2009, 22:01
AlphaMale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrong end of the stick ... Sorry about that. When I read apprenticeship I automatically thought of a wannabe pilot joining an airline where most of their training is done on the job while working for an employer (Ops etc) who helps the apprentices learn their trade, in exchange for their continuing labour for an agreed period after they become a qualified pilot a.k.a. Sponsorship.

As for what was descried above MJ, that is what I am looking to do. I don't expect an airline to take me on with just 250hrs under my belt (I know they do and I caused a stir by mentioning this before in another thread). but I'd like to enjoy my journey to the LHS of a jet.

I'd love to be part of a team as a glider tug pilot after I get 100hrs TT under my belt and a tail dragger rating, then when I have the shiney CPL & MEIR maybe take a trip to Maun for 2 years or more.

I should imagine with close to or over 1,000hrs TT I'd have a good shot at the TP operators, BizJets or maybe Jets (Airline or Fright) when I get back? I'd like to enjoy my comerial flying in Africa before getting bonded to an airline. But who knows what the future holds in 2 / 3 / 4 years time?