PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Longline comms tower construction. Hardest thing I've ever done. Any clues?
Old 25th May 2009, 17:12
newfieboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with what Remote Hook says. I just spent the last three days and 30hrs flight time on the end of a 150ft line in a B2 Astar building diamond drills. You think a 205 is a hard longline platform yeah right! Its all about length of line, and being comfortable with it. In Canada all we do is longline, if I;m slinging fuel, groceries anything, I use a 100ft -150ft line, and make sure all my loads hit the spot, same with the empty hook always work at putting it in the rigger/groundcrews hand. Practice and experience so when it come to the towers, hydro pylons, drills etc it should be easy. Try doing it over frozen lakes in the winter with no refernce, with alot of practice and experience it becomes doable. Its like anything, the more you do it the better you get. I actually find towers etc a pretty fun thing. Just have to be comfortable with it.

Get to know the riggers/ground crew, if they see you are confident with the job they will be alot more comfortable with being around the load, cuts down on the swearing and cursing. Get everything down on the approach, postion of all the riggers etc then when at the target spot all you have to do is work on placing load. Don;t come in hot, nice and slow on short final to tower. Don;t fixate on the guys on tower, or ground, look at the big picture, makes it easier to hold a stable hover. Don;t white knuckle it, relax, let the guys move the load around and follow them through, watch the guys see where they are looking, it will tell you alot about position of load. Jusst my two cents worth I have to go pin a tower this afternoon, there will be swearing and cursing, but not from the riggers, it;ll be me cursing all these mosquitos and black flies