PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maximum range airspeed in autorotation
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2009, 11:09
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better be careful no misconceptions stat to creep in here.

airframe attitude to me is airspeed, at any power setting, anyone care to disagree?

the '47 is about the only lightie that has a movable horizontal stab, and in fact the G5's came out stock standard without them.

minimum power speed in the '47 is around 39 to 41 knots, max range in the auto i always used 60 knots. I never put a clock on it to see whether i stayed up longer at the lower airspeed but that is very academic when the sight picture is vastly different.

same in an R22, try the picture at minimum power airspeed of 52 knots and a much better range speed of 65knots.

RRPM well down also for max range.

most important thing to remember in an auto, there is only one power source, you better believe it. (excessive energy use from high RRPM or turning will only result in a higher ROD)

second most important thing, when practising sight pictures, never but never keep watching it with the needles joined as you will be transmitting power (however little) and the picture will not be real. try it an see.

third most important, when you do the unexpected throttle chop, do it in a safe area in case the donk stops when you do. (all to do with a little orifice which might not have been put in!)

and the Shawn Coyle theory, bang on. and not just for the reason of teaching how to do an EOL