PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training at Exeter/South West UK
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2009, 23:46
Crazy Fokker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Training at Exeter/South West UK

Hi guys,

I've decided to start my PPL properly after having an air experience flight a year or so ago followed by another couple of hours on a couple of cross country flights with a friend, and a bit of gliding. Like countless others I hope to eventually gain my fATPL and make a living from this surreal highly enjoyable endeavour we call 'flying'.

I'm in the West Somerset/East Devon region, and I'm currently trying to choose a flight school/club. I took a trip down to see Aviation South West and Exeter Flying Club yesterday situated in (obviously) Exeter. I was very keen on the freindly staff at Aviation South West and I really enjoyed the couple of hours I had at EGTE watching an assortment of commercial aircraft take off/land and go about their business.

My concern is involving price, my local club at Dunkeswell (EGTU) is much cheaper but has more of a recreational environment. Obviously Exeter is a reasonably busy commercial operation, and I believe training in a commercial environment from the outset may have it's advantages.

There is always Bristol, but that is about 45-50 miles from me, so would be a fair drive to get there depending on traffic, and I'm pretty sure they are even more expensive per hour than Exeter.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with any of the previously mentioned schools, at Exeter in particular?

After chatting with a friend whom is currently on an integrated course, I've been drawn back to the adage that employers prefer modular students who have trained at solely one FTO rather than having "shopped around", I was wondering if anyone would care to post their thoughts on that?

Personally I feel that if you end up doing your CPL/ME/IR somewhere other than where you completed your PPL and hour building, that's not too much of a problem...but I do here differing views on this.

If anyone can shed any light on anything I've raised in this post, I would be extremely grateful for your input.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the long weekend!

CF