PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just like the sim....
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2009, 19:24
bjornhall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<cynical> Let's recall that the main purpose and design goal of SV is to make money. It would exist no matter how useless it is, provided one could convince people to buy it... It's main selling point is to look cool on the instrument panel.</cynical>

However, in addition to its main characteristics, could it also be of any use for flying?

For IFR, what is needed to help preventing CFIT is TAWS. Far as I understand, you look at your guidance information (OBI, HSI etc) to ensure you're on the desired track, you look at your moving map while setting up the guidance systems to ensure you're setting up the correct desired track, and you are alerted by TAWS if for whatever reason you're still headed to where you shouldn't be. What does SV add to that scenario, other than a distraction?

For VFR in VMC, you look outside, right? What important things can you see with SV that you can't see out your window? What can you tell about the terrain ahead that the moving map can't tell you better (e.g., look-ahead to identify box canyons)?

For VFR in IMC, well, I'm convinced there will be many people who will attempt that with SV who wouldn't have done so without it. I'm not convinced it will be any help in exiting inadvertently entered IMC... It might help prevent CFIT in that scenario, but not loss of control.

Night VFR in mountains... No comments...

For tactical flying, military style, I'm sure it must be great. Other than that, as you can tell, I'm not sold on the idea!