PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEW AIR PLANE- Model and Fuel options?
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2009, 19:18
Squall79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again for all the answers. All of them were actually very informative.

First of all, you are right I am on a tight budget, but the reason for my decision to buy a plane was the difficulty in finding a plane to rent for local and cross country flights.

My first aim is not finding a school to hire my plane and possibly make money on it. However, if there comes such an opportunity along the way, I would be willing to utilitze it if it had the potential to reduce cost of ownership. The primary and maybe the only use of the plane would be for my own leisure and PIC flights.

I also considered the option of getting a two seater first, and I am still not against that idea. I know almost all of the options you listed and have thoroughly examined them in the past. However, all of this planes fall undert the LSA catogory aircraft if I am not mistaken, and under the Turkish general aviation regulations (yes IO540 the Turkish CAA is needlessly strict) an aircraft has to weigh more than 470 kgms. and has an engine with more than 100hp power.

The only seater I can think of that weighs more than 470 kgms other than Cessna 152 is Diamond 's Katana. I would love to have a rotax version with 80 hp, but then 100 hp barrier would stop me. The 120 hp continental version is also nice but I would be again using AVGAS (of course the consumption of 5-6 GPH would still be favorable as opposed to a C172)

I do not know if 150-152 would be a nice option for me, but I suspect the operatiing costs of the aircraft would be similar to a C172.

AN2 driver, thank you for the links from Turkey but although there some TB9 and TB10 on the market with very attractive prices, I am a bit reluctant to ho down the Socata road, as I have no experience as an aircraft owner, and I read maintenance on Socatas can be very expensive due to different part numbers from Socata. , thus the need to trace engine parts with the original numbers. Also, wouldn't things like constant speed prop, and in Piper case (there is no piper service center in Turkey by the way, I think the closest is in Bulgaria or Greece) retractable gear complicate things and increase the cost of ownership?