PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the apprenticeship route still viable in todays economic climate?
Old 24th May 2009, 18:50
Frankly Mr Shankly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be fair, that's a very good question from Afraz.

"Traditionally" these routes you mention (night freight, air taxi etc) were considered something of an apprenticeship, where alot of us cut our teeth and gained fantastic experience, often in non-computerised, hell even non-heated (well it felt like it anyway) aeroplanes in some pretty poor conditions.

I think these routes are now considerably fewer (even taking into account the exceptional economic situation we now face) than even a few years ago. The way the industry seems to be heading is for wannabees to either target or be targetted by the bigger airlines to work for reduced wages, having paid for the TR themselves. This on top of the cost of training amazes me how people can actually afford it these days however that's another topic.

There are still operators suitable for 200 hr guys, flying TP's, however they do seem fewer on the face of it than say in 2000 or so. Obviously the economics are playing their part, and they can obviously afford to raise the bar, but yes, it does appear that way to me too Afraz, which is only a bad thing for wannabees I'm afraid.