PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cessna spin
Thread: cessna spin
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2002, 12:28
airball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cessna spin

I would be interested to hear from some one with technical knowledge in such matters their opinion on the following incident. Since it occurred several hind sight experts crawled out of the wood work to impart that yes it¡¦s common, always been a possibility, flaps and Cessna¡¦s recipe for disaster (in direct contravention of what I understood 10„a/lift flaps function to be). If this is the case why are the majority of pilots I¡¦ve spoken to since of all experience levels not readily familiar with such inherently dangerous characteristics? Why when these aircraft are, or used to be the workhorse of flying schools is it not disseminated that Stall/spins are commonly possible risk out side of the normal risk envelope and violent in nature.

The incident: -
Cessna 150 aerobat , 2 POB , half tanks, clear day, wx 15/20 kts, 800 ft amsl.
Right bank 35-40„a , Flaps 10 „a, 75 kts IAS, R/H window latched up.
No other A/C in the vicinity. Very small possibility that wind across escarpment near by could have generated a rotor wind of sorts,(highly unlikely but my explanation prior to the woodworms).
We were circling while taking pictures and had done so many times previously in the same configuration often with less speed more bank and less stable winds. Suddenly with out stall warning buffet or any other symptom the a/c flicked over in to a full left-hand spin. I didn¡¦t recover immediately
as in the circumstances I thought a control surface or cable had been lost. On completing spin recovery I did not apply full power for the same reason. Obviously given the height the whole incident was over fast and we levelled out at less that 200ft agl shaken not dead.
Understand that I make no claim to be the best, most proficient or faultless pilot and I am familiar as all should be with the risk of stall in varying configurations and am very conscious of its avoidance. On the day and in qualified hindsight I can say that there were no extenuating circumstances and this happened when it never had previously and was unforeseeable.
Opinions please.