PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just like the sim....
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2009, 07:15
Droopystop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks fantastic. Definitely the way forward although I do wonder who this is aimed at. Basically it seems that SVT gives you a sort of EGPWS without the aural warnings (although I suppose that would be easy to integrate) and fancy flight director. To be honest with the latter, you don't need the former when flying IFR. When flying VFR, you want to be looking out the window anyway, so the SVT is of no real benefit over a moving map.

I have to say the screen looks cluttered compared with the glass I fly behind and wonder if now we have too much information presented to us. All we need is the essentials and (this is the real benefit of glass) the ability to have that information presented as clearly as possible.

I hope there is a means of training for the G1000/SVT out with the cockpit, as I found the transition from dials to glass harder than I thought - so much choice, so many more buttons to push. I also wonder how many people would be suckered by the novelty and try flying the screen and not the world outside.

Glass coupled with a good autopilot does much to reduce workload (although there is a transitional phase where the worklaod increases). Does glass without autopilot reduce workload? I would say no initially but yes with practice in ordinary situations, however it might be a distraction when the chips are down. Suitable for a 30 hour per year PPL? Not if they have been brought up on dials. But those who own your own and get plenty of time in, fantastic.