PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1,750 jobs to go at Qantas
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2009, 03:15
cart_elevator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just dont get it

Apparently we have to shed about 1700 jobs. I get that,but at the same time as one of the last Qantas crew to be hired I could be staring down the barrel of redundancy.Yet I was recently forced to attend "Qantanimo" and do the exceptional thing.There were over a hundred people there. They gave us a nice lunch which was the highlight of the day.Even at say $10 a person for lunch thats $1000 a day,5 days a week.So $5000 a week just for food to run this day of nothing but fluff. Add on that the costs of busses,other companies to teach you new tricks( I can now speed think supposedly ),waiters etc.There were also people there from inter-state,so flights and hotel costs as well. I reckon they spend more on just one of this stupid day than it takes to keep 20 of me in a job.
So they can afford all of this but they have to sack 1700 staff because of costs? I could really understand them doing things like this in good times,but now?
It really makes no sense and makes me so angry at the company. The "no expense spared" feeling of the day made me more "disengaged" from Qantas than they could think. And I really don’t get why Joyce and his band of executives cant see it. Perhaps because they know their jobs are safe? Some old woman was carrying on about how the place was $10 million to build and how everything was "wonderful". Great,how many jobs could have been saved with that 10 million dollars? Do the idiots that run exceptional have a direct line to reality? Probably not,am sure their jobs are safe as well
I simply cannot afford to lose my job,I have a mortgage. But they can afford to keep doing this crap at the expense of peoples livelihoods. It makes me sick. I wish Joyce could see reality,he is no better than Dixon in regards to how he sees employees. We are disposable.

Last edited by cart_elevator; 24th May 2009 at 03:37.