PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just like the sim....
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2009, 22:34
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love it.

In GA terms I have used both the G1000 and Avidyne systems, although not the G1000 with SVT.

Glass presents the pilot with so much more information. The designers have done a pretty good job with the presentation as well so once you are familiar with the system it is simple to access the data without being over loaded.

I guess it makes you lazy. Whether IFR or VFR all the work is done for you, there are very few worries about situational awareness, route planning is instant and, in the IFR enviroment, it is difficult to ever be caught out by a procedure again.

All that said, you still have to fly the aircraft, but you have a great deal more time to attend to other tasks.

I cant think of many, if any reasons why anyone would favour conventional instruments over glass, it is that good. Operationally, cost and reliability may yet prove long term issues and there is a real danger pilots trained on glass will find it very difficult to go back to fly with a map, stopwatch, pen and pencil, but hey how many sailors can still use a sextant.