PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEW AIR PLANE- Model and Fuel options?
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2009, 21:40
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt whether you'd be able to find/buy a C172 with the Thielert conversion in any case. I think Cessna was very, very relieved that they did not yet deliver any to customers when Thielert went bankrupt. Diamond ended up with a whole lot of airframes, mostly DA-42s, ready for delivery except for the engine but they're now delivering these with their own Austro engine, and Robin (who delivered the DR-400 Ecoflyer) is in receivership right now. In all cases, getting spare parts for anything Thielert powered was impossible for a while, and is very expensive but at least possible right now.

I tend to agree with Bert. Buy a relatively cheap two-seater now, preferably one who is JAA certified (for instance with the Rotax 912S) to run on mogas. There's actually a few aircraft like that which would almost fit your budget. Just for reference, I have Flyer from March 2009 here, which has the roundup of all light aircraft for sale today. Included are, for instance:

AT-3 R100 Club, euro 67.000. (| www.at-3.com)
Aerostyle Breezer-C, euro 37.800 (Startseite)
CSA SportCruiser, UKP 50.820 and up (Czech Sport Aircraft)
Dova DV-1 Skylark. Price unknown. (www.dovaaircraft.cz)
Evektor Sportstar RW, USD 105.000 (Welcome to Evektor - Aircraft Producer and Design & Engineering Company)
Funk FK-9 MK IV, euro 51.685 or other Funk airplanes (FK Lightplanes)
Issoire Aviation APM-20 Lionceau (www.issoireaviation.com)
Meteor Sky Arrow, USD 103.300 (SKY ARROW web site)
Rans S-7 Courier, USD 85.000 (default)
Tecnam P2000 Sierra (various models; Tecnam)

Of course, you would want to be very careful with renting these planes out for flight training - they are probably not as robust and long-lasting as a 172 or PA-28. But you could consider renting them out to post-PPL pilots who are hour building towards their CPL. With an appropriate checkout of course.

In any case, buy an aircraft that fills *your* needs. Not the need of the flight school who might want to rent the aircraft from you. If the flight school would be able to give you sufficient business for a price that would allow you to run your aircraft relatively cheaply, they would buy the aircraft themselves.

Oh, by the way, USD 2.60 for a liter of 100LL is by no means exceptional. I think the current price at my home base (Rotterdam) hovers around the 2.30-2.40 euro per liter right now.