PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edgbaston Helipad?
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2009, 04:27
JimBall

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TP: There are a couple of farms about 6 miles south-west of Edgbaston off the A38 near the motor works and reservoirs. Contact numbers come up on Google Maps.

What a beautiful dawn and a great day to fly.
Just thought I'd remind myself why we do this.
Yes - the original question was simple. But isn't it an indication that the rules are a problem when even ShyT has the old rules in the brain and the old price for an Exemption ? Not Shy's fault, I suggest, because it is a common problem.
Back in 02 there was a substantial CAA consultation to bring Rule 5 more in line with ICAO and reduce the confusing wording of the 1996 version. As was stated in the consultation: "The existing United Kingdom low flying rule (see Annex C) uses 1088 words compared with its equivalent in the ICAO Rules of the Air (see Annex D) which uses only 160 words."
In 05 the new version was published, and this was again modified in 07 with different para numbering. That catches a lot of people.
There is a debate to be had about the interpretation of the rule 6 exemptions for certain areas of rule 5. But life's too short. All I know is that pre-05 we needed an exemption to land at a particular site, and a year later we didn't!
And if the aim of the 05 rewrite was to make things clearer, it didn't totally work. For those with time on their hands, the history is interesting : Proposal to amend the UK Rules of the Air Regulations 1996 | Consultations | CAA

Last edited by JimBall; 23rd May 2009 at 04:57.