PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2009, 01:20
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks,
I started work at 08:00 yesterday and it is now 02:00 today (23 May) despite what the post time says. I'm a little tired and I want to go to bed. However, as the 15th anniversary of this terrible accident approaches, I feel the need to reaffirm what this whole thing is about.

1. 29 people lost their life and 29 families lost loved ones.
2. 2 highly skilled pilots were subsequently blamed for the accident.
3. AP3207 – RAF Manual of Flight Safety, Chapter 8, Appendix G, page 9 states "ONLY IN CASES IN WHICH THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER SHOULD DECEASED AIRCREW BE FOUND NEGLIGENT"
4. Accident investigation evidence states it cannot confirm the pre-impact serviceability of the aircraft.
5. There was no accident data recorder or cockpit voice recorder and nobody alive knows what was going on in that aircraft during the final few moments.
6. The Mk2 Chinook, at that time, had a very problematic introduction to service, so much so that...
7. It was flying operationally with a limited release to service and the test pilots had refused to fly it until their concerns were addressed.
8. The Board of Inquiry did not attribute any human failings towards the pilots and the verdict of gross negligence was introduced upon review by the Reviewing Officers who have admitted to using speculation whilst reaching their opinions.

I welcome meaningful debate, genuine questions, a different interpretation of the limited known facts that are available and even the odd bit of banter. Personal insults and 'my job was better/harder/tougher than your job' comments are better placed somewhere else.

So, may I ask that we all please get back on topic and show this subject the respect it deserves?

Finally:
The Met Men knew this - but it appears that 'SF' Pilots did not stoop so low as to consult Met Forecasters.

Comments Brian?
Yes, Caz. I'll comment. Insulting, ill-founded and way beneath your usually well-presented and reasonable standards.

Best I go to bed. (I'm sure I'll be posting an apology in the morning!)

My best, as always,
Brian

"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook