PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clark Institute of Aviation
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2009, 00:09
FourStripes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the Airbus IP from Cebu Pacific

Speaking of CA students, I finally got to fly with the first two MPL course graduates, which, according to them, was Navitimer's instructions.

My first impression:

1. Good theory and procedures.
2. Radio Telephony needs work - probably because no one ever taught them the proper phraseology, sequence, message content, listening technique and "etiquette.
3. Some action paralysis due to the psychological shock of flying the real A320 - realization that mistakes can be disastrous. No "freezing" the plane and having someone explain.
4. Problems keeping up with the pace of actual line operations - The pace during their training was slow and controlled.
5. Little or no bad habits (great!) - because they are starting from a "clean slate".
6. Some anxiety flying into "short" runways - I flew them into Legaspi, where we are currently operating on a reduced runway distance of 1,700 meters (Tagbilaran is 1,700 meters). I demonstrated to them the short field landing and takeoff performance of the A320 (RP-C3247) with a 95% load factor, and how you would only need 3/4 of the 1,700 meters, if you do things properly. To think, I'm scheduled to fly into Ozamis in June, which is 1,500 meters.
7. Need to study more on Aircraft Performance & Meteorology.
8. Need to improve task prioritization and organization - I think this is also caused by the shock of flying the real plane.

I also flew them into Puerto Princesa (long runway), where (I think) they got their first taste of a night instrument approach in bad weather. As Murphy's law would have it, some of the approach, runway and airport lights went out while I was on VOR/DME 27 short final. A scene right out of "Airplane" the movie.

These were "Familiarization" flights, though - they were observers, and I flew with regular First Officers in the right seat. I haven't let them physically fly the A320 yet. They don't get to do that until Navitimer says so.