PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2009, 21:38
bast0n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The argument that competent pilots flew a serviceable aircraft into the ground when they could and should have prevented it is gaining credence here.
At last some people are seeing through the fog of the blinkered. The fact that most accidents are caused by the well known build up best described as "nibbled to death by ducks" does not explain the last few minutes/seconds of this tragedy. This aircraft slammed into the ground and I firmly believe that basic airmanship could have prevented this happening. At the end of the day, breakfast, met briefs, packed lunches, Fadec, Tans, DR nav, possible in flight problems et all do not excuse a crew from flying the aircraft in a safe and professional manner. My posts above are not trying to persecute the crew, but rather to say that they made a few tragic errors of judgement in the last minutes of the flight. There, but for the grace of god, so many of of us would have perished in the perilous business of flight if luck had not gone our way. We are all human and make mistakes. Why on earth can this not be acknowledged in this case?

As an aside - I feel the snide remarks made about fellow aviators who may not have had the fun of flying helicopters in this role to be misguided. Airmanship is an across the board responsibility and can justly be commented on by those who, whatever their role, have the safety of themselves and their passengers at heart.

David B