PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2009, 21:10
cazatou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mull of Kintyre

It is now approaching "Bed time" here in the Southwest of France. It is the start of the "Holiday Season" so the number of French Military aircraft that fly over us at (quote) 200 ft (unquote) are starting to decrease and will become zero during August. (Upsets the Tourists).

Before I retire I thought I would share with you all something I picked up on the "web" which May interest you.

" For some time the coastline of Kintyre, and in particular the area around the Mull, has been known to pilots as a dangerous area to fly at low level because of the freak weather conditions that frequently affect the coastline."

The first recorded military air accident on the Mull was in 1941 when an Armstrong Whitworth Whitley from 502 Sqn crashed on the west slope of Beinn na Lice. Since then there have been nineteen recorded air accidents in the vicinity of the Mull and over a hundred and twenty lives have been lost
The following is an extract from a letter written to the Daily Telegraph (13 December 2000) by Sqn Ldr D Kinch.

"In light winds and high relative humidity, layers of fog and low cloud form adjacent to the Mull to obscure the high ground completely."

The Met Men knew this - but it appears that 'SF' Pilots did not stoop so low as to consult Met Forecasters.

Comments Brian?