PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police Civilianisation of air support
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:32
therealpieboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the steepest learning curve for such applicants to be coming to grips with esoteric acronyms and arcane nomenclature..

That and the Airwave radio, which most Officer's should know how to use on arrival to the unit.

PAARMO, Yes your original question was can a civilian do the Police observers job. It looks like the answer is yes. However, I would ask you two questions in response.

Can a Civilian EFFECTIVELY do a Police observers role?

If they both cost the same, why would you employ a civilian when you could have a well qualified Police officer?

Before you start on the cost I get about £35,000 gross PA and I'm on top whack. a scale six support staff member is on around the same money when you add shift allowance and weekend working. Scale six covers people like Police photographers and control room staff. Their level of technical knowledge is about the same as the observers, albeit in a diffrent field.

Unison are not going to allow Police staff air observers to be on much less than scale six. so once again I would ask you,

If they both cost the same, why would you employ a civilian when you could have a well qualified Police officer?

That's it game over

I also seel cheap clockwork toys if anyone wants one!!!