PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edgbaston Helipad?
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:33
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 437 Likes on 230 Posts
Jim, yes my apology; it's been a long day and the paragraph number I quoted was the old one, before the 2007 renumbering.

The required permission is now for the same thing but now known as rule 5(3)(c). I thought you might already have known that permission is required though

One I obtained for that area but has just expired (costs £103 and takes a few days to obtain) begins:

"The Civil Aviation Authority pursuant to Rule 5(3)(c) of the Rules of the Air Regulations 2007 as amended, hereby permits ***** G-**** [helicopter type and individual registration] ("the said aircraft"), for the time being operated by ***** Ltd, to fly over a congested area of a city, town or settlement below a height of 1,000 feet above the highest fixed obstacle within a horizontal radius of 600 metres of the aircraft, for the purposes of landing at and taking off from the Tally Ho Sports Club, Edgbaston, Birmingham ("the said site").

It lays down a number of conditions to be met, including:

(c) "The said aircraft shall not fly pursuant to this permission:

(ii) unless that in the event of a failure of a power unit the aircraft can be landed without danger to persons or property on the surface"

There's a couple of clues in there for the original poster. That latter thing might be difficult to meet in the case of a single over Brum!

P.s. Jarvy, I politely suggest you get back in your box. The UK's CAA prosecutes pilots on a fairly regular basis for not complying with the 1,000 foot rule. Edgbaston is inside the CTR of a fairly major airport so the landing would be on record.