PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA ATP to JAA ATPL, (Merged 2009)
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:52
Matthew Adams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c) Once that ride is successfully completed I would be issued a JAA COMM/ME/IR which would be sent to the UK in order for it to be converted to a full unrestricted JAA ATPL(A) valid in all member nations.
Not true. The initial JAA IR must be taken in Europe.

Is 100% wrong!!!

Spending 30k euros on the conversion would have me at the same cost than doing all the training in Europe!
Maybe if you have more than the minimum number of hours for licence issue.
As a FI at a UK school - the majority go considerably over minimum conversion hours during conversion.

Could anyone tell me when i can log PIC hours? The FAA log it differently to the JAA . i plan or converting from FAA to JAA and need PIC hours to begin my conversion.
There can only ever be ONE PIC of a single pilot aircraft. ie when you are with an instructor you cannot log it as PIC - it is logged as dual.
If you flew some time in a multi with another pilot for insurance purposes - only one person can log it - unless you are receiving instruction - it is a single pilot aircraft. I.e non of the safety pilot time, or time someone else logged safety pilot and PIC can be counted.
If you fly a multi pilot type but only have an SIC rating you cannot log this as PIC either.