PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not a pleasant flight
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:43
Matt101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just wanted to expand by sharing with you a personal experience during my time as Cabin Crew - I'm not CC now by the way but the experience has left me with a respect for the people who undertake the role.

We were night stopping in XXX and were picked up from the hotel at a not unreasonable 10am. We arrived at the airport which was experiencing a bad snow storm, as was our base airport, this had resulted in our airline which operates a number of flights each day to and from XXX having several rolling delays due to movement restrictions. As it turns out our aircraft had not even left base yet. As we were handled by an agent at XXX our arrival in uniform put us squarely in the pax firing line. Thankfully XXX airport has lovely views of the apron so many pax could see the problem, however, at least 20 people proceeded to shout at me (and more at my fellow crew), as they did not believe that weather was a sufficient excuse.

Unfortunately our delay rolled to an impressive (!) 4 1/2 hours, thankfully most people were just happy to get out at all. However in that time, as you can imagine, our duties had extended beyond what we were expecting on our first sector of the day but we did manage to keep it "professional".

We returned to base expecting to be told our short two sectors had been re-crewed, however, what we actually found out was that we were picking up some already delayed passengers to take to a destination which would result in a significantly longer two sectors. However we had to do our job.

We got to a new aircraft prepped it boarded passengers who had already been delayed for 2 hours to be told that our base airport had had to close the runway due to the weather for an indefinite amount of time. We continued to provide a ground service with extra food and drinks brought to us but needless to say the situation still went down badly with the passengers - many became abusive and downright rude despite much effort to try and explain the situation.

Personally I was wondering how I was going to get home on return to the UK as I commute a significant distance by train and was expecting to clear after midnight as opposed to 1600 as I was rostered - which meant I hadn't made any hotel reservations as I would usually have done for a late flight. With the prospect of not having anywhere to sleep in my mind I was also being shouted at. I admit my smile faded significantly and my patience dropped somewhat.(and we still hadn't had our last sector which was much the same).

So a 14 hour day (cumulative delays to my roster of over 6 hours) passed full of abuse and me having to crash on the floor of a friends' house who was nice enough to let me in at 2am.

Not a typical day in my career but also not an isolated event - and as a human my ability to smile no matter what had left me entirely.