PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's with the term "command?"
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:46
Kiltie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Skipper"

...gives me visions of a happy-go-lucky cap-doffed-to-one-side Para-Handy type character.

"2 years to my command"

The expectant arrogance of this is self explanatory.

I would only expect to be called Captain at work by someone who doesn't know my name and is trying to summonse my attention. I have been known to shout "Dispatcher?!" across GPU noise if I am trying to catch someone I don't know. Want of a better term is always preferred so open to ideas. I am too unfit to break in to a sprint and my shins show too many scars from trying to vacate a flight deck too quickly!

"I always thought that the CSD/Purser was in charge of the aircraft "

Don't laugh! Sadly this opinion is rife, albeit innocently. It's an unfortunate reflection of how some Captains don't recognise the benefits of briefing / liaising / asking the cabin crew when they would like to board / what facilities they need in the interests of good CRM. To have the privilege of commanding the operation as a whole means to embrace the concept of offering respect and assistance to those on board with other responsibilities.

I've lost count of the amount of times a Purser has instructed the dispatcher to board passengers and sent him away without notifying his presence to the Captain. Red faces all round when the Captain then notifies the cabin crew the aeroplane has a tech fault.

Last edited by Kiltie; 22nd May 2009 at 13:00.