PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot caught smelling of alcohol at LHR
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2009, 07:30
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roger Sofarover
I continue to be sickened by the 'off with their heads brigade' who deem anyone a drunkard or guilty until the facts, (as they are presented in court, rather than the media) are known.
I agree. Unfortunately, it happens each time there's a press report that a pilot has been arrested on suspicion of committing an alcohol offence.

FSLF
My intention was to show that sometimes words have different meanings depends on how you want to interpret them.
Fair point.
However I do not agree with statements such as "being over the limit does not mean be drunk" implying fitness for duty.
Again, we're back to the problem of how people want to interpret fit and unfit.
In the last alcohol thread, I wrote: "There are always people who continue to equate unlawful to fly (exceeding the zero or virtually zero prescribed limit, even by a miniscule amount) with unfit to fly (impairment)."
You responded "That sentence closes the discussion on the thread. I do agree with you 100%."

It's impossible to have a productive discussion if different people are using the same word but meaning very different things by it.