PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot caught smelling of alcohol at LHR
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2009, 04:12
Roger Sofarover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will

I assume following your logic that you would advocate that any individual who has been even the slightest over the legal limit whilst driving a car should lose their driving licence for ever, as the potential consequences of an accident involving a car could be the deaths of many people.?

The field breathalyser has been proved on countless occasions to have been inaccurate and is the reason why the field breathalyser result must be confirmed by another teast before it is admissable in court. So the chap is not guilty yet...get it.

Furthermore, there is a massive difference between being over the aviation limit for alcohol and being drunk. For those also commenting that drinking is self inflicted and fatigue is not, then think again. A point to ponder. If you only had 5 hours sleep last night, then when you wake up this morning and drive to work (let alone strap in to an aircraft), your reflexes are almost clinically identical to someone who has drunk 2 pints of lager. If you have had 20 hours of wakefulness then your reactions are the same as somebody that has had 5 pints of beer.

Now whilst many here will never advocate drinking and driving/flying, how many of you have packed the family into the car at 3am to make the 2 hour drive to the airport, so that you get the early morning cheap flight on your holidays? I assume those of you that are oh so perfect and professional will realise now that given the above information, whilst the causal effects of fatigue may not be self inflicted, the decision to drive and then subsequently fly when you no you are fatigued (or only had 5 hours sleep last night) is a decision that is entirely self inflicted.

Fincastle
Oh , you mean that the breathalyser was faulty. Get real, the guy probably had a few too many with the hosties in a cosy little hotel room party, probably not the first time, only this time he got caught.
Whilst i get over the urge that has been triggered by your post to shout AS*HOLE at the top of my voice, would you please make yourself known to MI5, CIA, FBI and the NSA. They have countless crimes waiting to be solved by an individual as gifted as you are for being able to pluck the facts of a case out of thin air when you know neither the individual, the chain of events or the technical knowledge required to make a balanced, informed decision. Thank god you will never be a judge.

Flying Lawyer

Thank You for your posts!

On general note, I feel that any threads on this subject should be completely banned in the future. I continue to be sickened by the 'off with their heads brigade' who deem anyone a drunkard or guilty until the facts, (as they are presented in court, rather than the media) are known. I wish I led such a perfect life as you perfect individuals.