PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot caught smelling of alcohol at LHR
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2009, 23:10
Cumulonimbus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JofM5

I find your post bizarre too.

Fully agree, guilty until proved innocent, so won't pass judgement, but the fact it is officially reported he failed the test would not seem favourable for him, concerning his guilt/innocence.

Now, I also agree that if he has a fundamental problem and cannot help himself, then he needs both help and sympathy, once he has paid the penalty for what he has done, assuming he has done it.

Ignorance is no excuse. If you get in your car and drive whilst over the limit, you will be prosecuted and deservedly so, even if you didn't know it was unlawful to drive over the limit set. If driving is a fundamental part of your job, and you loose your job as a result, tough; you knew the game.

An earlier poster suggested it was ok to drink and drive or drink and fly if it was his airplane and he wasn't carrying SLF. Get real everyone, whenever you get in your car or your airplane impaired through alcohol then you are a danger to everyone around you, whether it be in the air or on the ground. No excuse, and God forbid you kill or hurt anyone.

Time for help, and I agree with that, is when you have faced up to your responsibilities and paid your dues! Aviation is not a privileged club, exempt from responsibility.

This guy might yet be proved innocent. I hope, for his sake he is!