PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobile Phone as Data Modem
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2009, 19:57
Figure Of Merit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with O2 Contract phone

Hi
I've read through all the above but am still struggling.
I have an iPaq 114 which I use to get weather and NOTAMs as a last resort when I can't find a computer. I used to connect via Bluetooth to my Nokia 6500 and thence to Orange. This was great for what I needed but would often fail due to poor Orange coverage.

Because of the poor Orange coverage when out in the sticks, I signed up to O2 on an 18month contract. They sent me a shiny new Nokia 6500 classic.

Since then I have been unable to connect my PDA to the internet.

I have got the settings and can browse the internet on the phone.
I can establish a connection between the PDA and the phone.
BUT no data seems to get transferred.
I've tried everything on the FileSaveAs.com site to no avail.
I 've even tried using BtInternet's (my ISP) dialup number 0121 4789 200 again no joy - the PDA gets the phone to dial the number but fails to receive data. (Dialling the number from the handset gives me the high pitched modem tones.)

I called O2. They say "it's our policy not to allow our handsets to be used as modems" and won't help any further. They want me to buy their USB-stick mobile broadband thing (but this won't plug into a PDA) OR sign up for an iPhone.

Is it something I'm doing wrong? Or have O2 somehow blocked the phone's ability to send data over bluetooth to another device?

Any ideas gratefully received (apart from going back to orange/buying an iPhone etc)

Phil